Style yourself for less

Style yourself for less

It’s that time of the year again when fresh beginnings and ambitious ideas are in full swing as the spring semester kicks off in tandem with the new year. Those subpar final exam grades and end-of-semester sweatpants days have happily become things of the past, and if you’re at all like me, the to-do lists of 2014 have left little room for slacking off and shmucking around: It’s time to merge onto the fast track of success.

When tackling a long and lofty checklist to success, the first question to ask is how improvements can be made in regard to years or semesters past: What easier place to start fresh than by improving your overall image? After all, if 2014 is going to be a year of achievement across the board, the easiest place to start is by making others see the true, inner overachiever hidden within. With a top notch wardrobe comes killer confidence, which we all know is the real difference between being the person who sits in the back of the lecture hall texting and doodling in a notebook, and the person who establishes connections with peers and professors by asking intellectual questions during class.

So without further ado, here are a few DIY style ideas that will ensure your most fashionable foot is set forward as you embark on the most promising semester yet.

Sweater Sleeve Leg Warmers

While they may seem unimportant in the grand scheme of overall personal presentation, I have come to find over the past few months that leg warmers can automatically spruce up any ensemble, whether it’s a chic skirt and tights combo or a jeans and sweatshirt kind of day. Take your look from everyday ordinary to studiously elegant with these easy-to-make accessories.

1. Select a sweater that you—and this is key—do not plan on wearing, and cut the sleeves off so that you have basically turned your least favorite sweater into your least favorite tank top.

2. Simply slide your sweater sleeves onto your legs so that the sleeve cuffs are facing up, as this gives a much more polished appearance than the frayed, cut edges. Now just throw on a pair of boots, bunch your leg warmers as desired and strut your stuff.

Quick and Easy French Braid

We’ve all done it. You hit the snooze button a few too many times, and before you know it, it’s 7:30 and you still haven’t showered for that 7:45 lecture. No worries though; the days of greasy ponytails and lopsided messy buns are over with this new and improved, all day stay french braid.

1. Part hair down the middle to ensure an even look throughout the braid.

2. Gather the frontmost section of hair (as shown in the picture) and pull it back with a small elastic band, preferably one that does not stand out much with your hair color.

3. Proceed to braid, adding small sections of hair to each of the three original strands (left, middle and right) as you go. Continue this process until all of the hair is divided evenly and tucked securely into the braid, leaving no loose strands. Make sure that the hair tie securing the front most section of hair is now covered and hidden.

4. Secure the end of the braid with a hair tie and add a light mist of hairspray to prevent flyways. Congratulations, you’ve just managed to throw together a sophisticatedly complex hairstyle in five minutes.