Walker signs bill to expand workforce development services for individuals with disabilities

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill Friday that seeks to provide expanded workforce training for state residents with disabilities.

The bill, which passed both houses of the state Legislature with strong bipartisan support is part of a group of eight bills launched in September by Walker as part of his worker training initiative. State Rep. Katrina Shankland, D-Stevens Point, and state Sen. Jennifer Shilling, D-La Crosse sponsored the bill.

Walker said in a statement the bill will help the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development serve an additional 23,000 residents with disabilities through the creation of nine new positions in the department.

“This will allow us to assist more people with employment services and counseling,” Walker said. He added, “We can also help more employers hire workers with disabilities, offering a great advantage for both the employee and employer.”

The bill will provide the department with over $2 million in state funding and $7 million in federal funds for the 2013-’14 fiscal year.