Men's Hockey: Wisconsin to host first home Big Ten hockey series

Big Ten hockey officially makes its debut in Madison this weekend as Wisconsin (0-0-2 Big Ten, 4-5-1 overall) welcomes new conference rival Penn State (0-0-0, 3-7-1) to the Kohl Center for a weekend series beginning Friday night.

The Badgers are looking to bounce back after being swept by No. 1 Minnesota over Thanksgiving weekend in Minneapolis.

After losing 4-1 Friday, it looked as if Wisconsin would be able to skate away with at least a point Saturday with the game tied 3-3 in the final seconds of regulation, but after a costly turnover by senior forward Michael Mersch, the Gophers scored with 26 seconds left in the game, handing the Badgers their second loss of the weekend.

“We’re going to look at [Mersch’s play] [Monday] and learn and throw it away, and then move forward,” head coach Mike Eaves said.

Penn State comes to the Kohl Center on a four-game losing streak, having won just two of its last seven games. PSU sophomore defenseman Luke Juha, however, enters the series leading the Big Ten in power-play goals, good for ninth in the country.

Contrary to Wisconsin, Penn State’s strengths come from defense and goaltending.

Nittany Lion sophomore goaltender Matthew Skoff has been a key player for PSU thus far in the season.

“Just looking at video this past weekend and this morning, their [defense] starts right there,” Eaves said. “They go side to side very well. They have good size at the net.”

After scoring just four goals in its previous three games, Wisconsin’s offense had a strong showing in Minnesota. Senior forward Mark Zengerle notched his 100th career assist Saturday and Mersch is also ranked sixth in goals and 13th in points in the Big Ten.

After bye weeks in between each of their last four series, Friday’s game marks the first two consecutive weeks the Badgers will play since Oct. 12.

“[Playing] will help us get over last weekend, that’s for sure,” Eaves said. “That was one thing that was said right after the game, is good thing about this is we play again next weekend. We can get right back on the ice and not have to live with [the Minnesota loss] for another bye week.”

The game also kicks off a 12-game UW home stand, with Wisconsin playing at the Kohl Center all the way through the new year until January 25.

Despite recording two losses in Minnesota, the Badgers’ coaching staff has found a silver lining in the team’s performance it hopes can carry on throughout the season.

“Playing against a team that can play at a high pace … it just shows that we can play at that level,” Eaves said. “That level, in our mind, as a coaching staff, is the kind of championship level you’re going to see at a national tournament or regional ... There are so many great things about that game that encourage us that, you know, we’re on the right track.”