Annemarie Hickey

Volleyball: Last weekend of home games starts with powerhouse Penn State for the Badgers

While the Badgers (8-6 Big Ten, 19-7 overall) have had quite a few big weekend matchups, this weekend’s homestand may be one of their biggest.

Not only are they their final two home games of the season, but Wisconsin will also go up against top-tier talent. They face No. 2 Penn State (13-1, 22-2) on Friday, and Ohio State (4-10, 16-10) on Sunday.

The Badgers played Penn State earlier in the year when the Nittany Lions swept them 3-0. However the game was not as lopsided as the score read. Wisconsin had led in both of the first two sets, and the third was back and forth. Now with the advantage of home court, the Badgers could hang tough against the Nittany Lions again, with a chance to beat the nearly unstoppable Big Ten leaders.

The key to stopping Penn State is limiting their outstanding offensive duo junior hitter Nia Grant and senior hitter Katie Slay. They rank first and third respectively in the Big Ten in hitting percentage, and they’re a big force in Penn State’s booming offense that ranks second in the Big Ten conference in kills.

How can the Badgers shut down such a potent offense? By doing what they’ve done all year: Consistently dig the ball when the opponent hits it hard. UW ranks first in the Big Ten in digs per set, which shows they can take the heat opposing offenses give them.

Another big factor in defensively shutting down the Nittany Lions will be freshman middle blocker Haleigh Nelson, who ranks ninth in the Big Ten in blocks. If she can get on her game, and stuff some PSU players, it would be sure to disrupt their high tempo offense.

“[Penn State is] one of the monsters right now and we’re certainly excited about that opportunity on our home court to get a piece of them,” head coach Kelly Sheffield said.

Despite a disappointing Big Ten season, the Ohio State Buckeyes are still a team to watch out for, as it took the Badgers five sets to beat the Buckeyes 3-2 in Columbus earlier this season. OSU was a perfect 12-0 in out of conference play, so their 16-10 record doesn’t quite reflect the level of play they are capable of.

Ohio State has a stellar pass and kill combo in junior setter Taylor Sherwin and senior hitter Kaitlyn Leary. Sherwin is second in the Big Ten in assists, and Leary leads the Big Ten in kills. As with Penn State, shutting OSU out defensively will be the key to a Badger victory. Look for senior libero Annemarie Hickey and sophomore defensive specialist Taylor Morey, who have both been on top of their game the last few weeks.

“[Morey’s] defensive intensity was really good … she’s an important player for us. She was awfully good last weekend and we’re hoping that continues,” Sheffield said.

With the team making the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2007, this season certainly has been one of the best in recent years. The team looks to win both of its final home games to finish with a bang.