Volleyball: Wisconsin overcomes slow start to win at Iowa

In their first match since returning to the national rankings, the No. 23 Badgers (3-0 Big Ten, 14-1 overall) continued their winning ways by defeating Iowa (0-3, 9-6) 17-25, 25-19, 25-17, 25-20 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

For the Badgers, it extended their season-long eight-match winning streak, and they were able to do just that after dropping the first set.

The two teams traded the lead several times in the first set, and UW even held a 15-13 lead at one point. But the Hawkeyes caught fire and went on a 12-2 run to take the early lead in the match.

After Iowa jumped out to an early lead in the second set, the Badgers used a 14-4 run to take the lead and eventually the set.

After having been outblocked 6-1 and having a .044 team hitting percentage in the first set, UW was able to turn the tide in the second set by hitting .350, while holding the Hawkeyes to .167.

The third and fourth sets were much the same, as the Badgers managed to win both comfortably to secure a win in their first road match of the Big Ten season.

The win was an all-around team effort for UW, with notable performances by sophomore defensive specialist Taylor Morey, who had a match-high 21 digs, and freshman setter Lauren Carlini, who posted 13 saves and 46 assists.

The Badgers continued to dominate in areas that they have all season, including serving and kills. They outserved Iowa 8-5 in aces and crushed the Hawkeyes in kills, 54-32. And despite the lackluster first set, UW hit .201 while holding Iowa to .141.

These have been consistent keys to success for the Badgers this season, as they are now 14-0 when they beat their opponent in kills, and 13-0 when they have a higher hitting percentage.

While UW played well for the most part, it did struggle a little in certain areas, as it was outdug, 74-64, and outblocked, 11-8.

While Wisconsin overcame being beaten in these areas to win the match against the Hawkeyes, who have lost four consecutive matches after starting the season 9-2, it may have to play a little sharper if it wants to continue its winning streak. UW will travel to Lincoln, Neb., to face No. 10 Nebraska (2-0, 9-2) Saturday night in what may very well be UW's toughest test of the season so far.

Information from UWBadgers.com was used in this article