Student Services Finance Committee approves funding for Adventure Learning Programs

The Student Services Finance Committee approved the 2013-’14 budget for Adventure Learning Programs Monday.

During ALPs’ budget presentation last week, ALPs representative Lee Swartz said the organization provides adventure workshops through high and low ropes courses.

SSFC approved a final budget of $148,941.99 and made several small changes to the organization’s budget, including increasing transportation funding.

According to SSFC Chair David Vines, the current academic year is the first time the group has had increased usage of transportation to and from its ropes courses. An ALPs member said it has nearly expended all of its transportation funding for the rest of the current year.

SSFC also heard a budget presentation from the Working Class Student Union for the 2013-’14 academic year.

According to WCSU’s website, the group “supports and advocates for first-generation, non-traditional, transfer and working class college students” through peer counseling and events that are available to all students.

WCSU’s finance director Derek Field said the organization has seen an increase of students coming to the office for peer support and higher turnouts at WCSU events.

Also at the meeting, Vines provided his interpretation of the Supporting Peers In Laidback Listening wage violations that he said occurred earlier in the semester when two authorized signers each logged more than the maximum 20 hours per week employees are allowed to work.

Vines said there was probably confusion because the pay periods for the authorized signers are two weeks long and they had not worked more than 40 hours in the two weeks.

“It’s pretty clear where the miscommunication was,” Vines said. “It does not seem to be anything intentional or malicious.”

According to Vines, SSFC’s bylaws are a “little ambiguous” when it comes to wage violations because they only apply to multiple violations made by a single authorized signer, which is not applicable to the SPILL violations. Vines said the committee is regarding the wage violations as one violation instead of two, and SPILL will submit a letter to SSFC explaining the violation and why it will not happen again.

SSFC will decide on WCSU’s budget Thursday and will also hear a budget presentation from Sex Out Loud.