Chapman

Junior outside hitter Ellen Chapman has played in every set so far this season and has double-digit kills in 11 of her 12 matches, earning her 3.89 kills per set.

Volleyball: Badgers open up Big Ten play against No. 20 Purdue

The Wisconsin Women’s volleyball team (11-1) opens up Big Ten play Friday at the UW Field House in Madison, WI., against No. 20 Purdue (9-2).

The following day, Wisconsin will host to the Indiana Hoosiers (0-1 Big Ten, 8-4 overall).

“I’m really excited for the competition that is going to come with playing a lot of teams,” junior outside hitter Ellen Chapman said. “Every single game in our conference is going to be a tough match and I am looking forward to scouting and seeing a different team every time.”

Head coach Kelly Sheffield, on the other hand, believes the Big Ten presents no different of a task than do non-conference games.

“It doesn’t matter who the name is on the shirt,” Sheffield said. “You are trying to win that match.”

Purdue is coming off a victory in the Active Ankle Challenge in West Lafayette, Ind.

Junior middle blocker KiKi Jones was named tournament MVP, while redshirt seniors, setter Rachel Davis and outside hitter Katie Griffin, earned all-tournament honors.

Purdue poses a threat to the Badgers, bolstering one of the NCAA’s top offenses.

Purdue’s 6-2 offensive system hasn’t fallen lightly on UW, with Sheffield admitting that the scheme stretches your defense out along the net.

“We have to be able to read the play ahead of time,” Sheffield said. “If you are reacting to everything or if you are just not reading early enough you will be in trouble.”

The Badgers have been preparing all week for the changes the Purdue offense warrants, and are not looking at this game any differently.

“Serving tough will be the key to keeping their hitters from hitting in system,” Chapman said.

The Hoosiers enter Madison fresh off of a loss to No. 9 Minnesota (1-0 Big Ten, 13-1 overall).

The Gophers won in straight sets, posting a score of 25-14, 25-15, 25-18.

Indiana’s balanced attack was led by redshirt senior outside hitter Jordan Haverly, who racked up 10 kills in the game.

Indiana also plays a 6-2 offense, which Sheffield believes will help UW.

“It certainly helps, Sheffield said. “We haven’t had to worry about setters attacking this week in practice. Once Saturday morning gets here and we start focusing on IU, it’ll make it a little easier.”

The team is not focused on where they place in the Big Ten at the moment, but rather believe if they play the right way UW will end up where it deserves to be.

“We want to be a team that continues to get better … We are trying to win every match,” Sheffield said. “As far as winning conference, top three, top five, whatever it is, we haven’t approached it that way. We want to play good volleyball and approach it consistently. If we do that we’re going to win a lot of matches.”