Shannel Blackshear

Wisconsin, which won 25 of its first 29 games, is 4-4 in its last eight games. Barring another cancellation from poor weather conditions, UW will make its home debut Tuesday against Green Bay.

Softball: Badgers falter on road to red-hot Cornhuskers

Due to a pair of rainouts April 10, the Badgers (7-5 Big Ten, 29-8 overall) extended their streak to 37-straight road games this weekend as they met No. 22 Nebraska (8-3, 30-9) for three games.

Unfortunately for Wisconsin, a few defensive mistakes and just one inning of timely Cornhusker hitting was all Nebraska needed Friday night to take the first game of the series 4-0.

Nebraska junior catcher Taylor Edwards and freshman second baseman Hailey Decker each delivered RBI singles as the Cornhuskers scored their four runs and recorded three of their six hits in the fifth inning.

Although the Badgers threatened late in the game, Nebraska junior pitcher Tatum Edwards’ right arm proved to be too much for UW. Edwards recorded her Big Ten-leading seventh shutout of the season while only allowing two balls out of the infield. The shutout marked just the second time all season that the Badgers posted a goose egg.

Saturday’s matchup was more promising for Wisconsin, though, as it defeated Nebraska 5-2.

After being held to just three hits Friday, the Badgers generated more offense Saturday, recording an improved seven base knocks.

Wisconsin took after Nebraska’s Friday performance as it tallied four runs in the sixth inning to take a 5-2 lead on Cornhuskers. Three, two-out hits, including an RBI double to centerfield from junior shortstop Stephanie Peace and a two-run home run from senior third baseman Shannel Blackshear, highlighted an impressive inning for the Badgers’ offense. Blackshear’s home run marked her eighth of the season and the 29th of her career.

UW would not relinquish its lead as junior pitcher Cassandra Darrah recorded the last six outs, logging her 17th win of the season.

After a promising turnaround Saturday from Friday’s loss, the Badgers looked to take the series with a win Sunday.

Big innings seemed to characterize the weekend as Nebraska again used one inning’s worth of offense to separate itself from the Badgers. Nebraska plated eight runs on six hits in the third inning, breaking a 2-2 stalemate to grab a comfortable 10-2 lead.

The Cornhuskers added another run in the fourth inning and held the Badgers in the top of the fifth inning to grab the rubber match of the series via the NCAA’s eight-run mercy rule after five innings.

Despite a disappointing finish to the weekend, Wisconsin captured its third win in six chances against ranked opponents.

The Badgers hope to finally take the field at Goodman Diamond as they welcome Green Bay to Madison for a doubleheader starting at 3 p.m. Tuesday.