Obama's comment toward Kamala Harris pegged as sexist

This week, as the sixth season of “Mad Men” premieres, we can reflect on a few things. First, we are again treated to the entertainment and drama the AMC series, set in the 1960s, brings.  Second, we are reminded how far our society has progressed from a time when overt sexism and demeaning women was rampant in the workplace.

The many scenes in “Mad Men” where women are routinely talked down to, belittled and degraded based on their appearance, whether pretty or plain, came to my attention again this week when President Barack Obama was criticized for comments he made in support of California Attorney General Kamala Harris. In a speech at a fundraiser in the Bay Area, the President commented that Harris is the “best-looking” Attorney General in the country. This remark came only seconds after he also described Harris as “brilliant,” “dedicated,” “tough” and as “exactly what you’d want in anybody who is administering the law, and making sure that everybody is getting a fair shake.”

Immediately, the news media on all sides of the spectrum dissected every aspect of his statement. Some commentators took the President’s remarks as blatantly sexist and others characterized it as a harmless compliment. As usual, media pundits picked a rigid stance and stuck with it.

In this instance, we should judge Obama harshly but not label him. On the one hand, Obama should know better than to make a comment asserting one woman’s superiority based on her looks.  As “Mad Men” should demonstrate to us, the world in which a woman was blatantly defined by her looks over her skills in the workplace should be a thing of the past. Today, women are in positions of leadership based on their qualifications. Obama should understand any comment about a woman’s appearance, even if intended as a compliment, opens him up to criticism that professional accomplishments are secondary to physical beauty. There is no benefit to making this kind of comment.

On the other hand, labeling Obama as sexist is not valid either. Obama did not use that remark to discriminate against, stereotype or diminish Harris’ accomplishments. Obama’s policies have brought women forward, highlighted by appointing two women to the Supreme Court and signing into law the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. Obama is reportedly good friends with Harris and made sure to highlight the characteristics that made her successful as a professional before, regrettably, commenting on her appearance.

We are a society that is quick to label people based on few remarks. Republicans and Democrats alike have both been widely labeled in different ways based on comments made by members of their respective parties. Sometimes these labels have validity and many times they do not. Obama’s comment this past week was regrettable, but indicative of nothing more than a statement he never should have expressed publically.

As the new season of “Mad Men” begins this week, we can reflect on how women, based on their qualifications, have become a strong voice in our nation since the 1960s. We can also acknowledge how far society still needs to go to treat professional women equally. Finally, we can all agree that despite whatever beauty Kamala Harris may possess, commenting on it belongs in private and not in a public forum. Obama’s comment reminds us that while we have come a long way from the “Mad Men” type workplace, we still have a long way to go.

Is there any location in the public, political sphere for womens’ bodies? Is the reaction to Obama’s comment feminist, anti-feminist or just antagonistic? Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.