Letter: Vote Ledell Zellers for District 2

Hi, I am Ledell Zellers and I’m running for the office of alder for District 2 on the City Council. This District includes most of the Langdon Street area between W. Gorham and the lake from Wisconsin Avenue to Francis Street. I have been endorsed by three alders of districts which abut District 2, including Mike Verveer, Marsha Rummel and Satya Rhodes Conway as well as by the county representative whose district covers the majority of District 2.

Important issues to residents of the Langdon area which are affected by City actions include safety, housing quality/affordability and maintaining the unique look, feel and character of the Langdon area.

I care deeply about this area of the city.  It really is the epicenter of Greek, co-op and student life.  It has a beautiful and quirky atmosphere, especially characterized by the size of the buildings and noteworthy architecture of the co-ops, sorority and fraternity chapter houses and other distinguished rental buildings. Damaging the low skylines, the views and the ambiance that residents having enjoyed and casting the traditionally scaled buildings in shadow destroys much of what makes the Langdon area special.  As you know, the recent approval of plans to demolish three buildings on Henry Street/Iota Court has increased the concern about the future of this neighborhood by many living in the Langdon neighborhood as well as by those who recognize what a jewel this area is. While the city plan calls for preserving historic buildings and maintaining the scale of new buildings in the Langdon area, the recently approved Waterfront development does neither.  I share the concerns which have been expressed by many in the Langdon community and will continue to push for developers to follow the carefully thought out community plans that are intended to guide development in this area.  I support the Langdon area residents in their drive to help save the character of this special place by making it a local historic district.  They now have over 1,200 signatures on their petition:  https://www.change.org/petitions/city-of-madison-prevent-high-rise-apartments-in-the-langdon-neighborhood.

Safety is clearly a crucial element in our day to day lives.  Providing adequate lighting in campus neighborhoods for pedestrians can enhance safety. I will continue the efforts I’ve made as a neighborhood activist to get pedestrian scale lighting (as opposed to “street lights”) installed on blocks that do not have adequate lighting.  In addition we need to maintain strong relationships with the community policing team to address safety issues immediately when they arise. Police, property owners and residents need to work cooperatively when buildings become a staging area for criminal activity. I will work with the University to continue the safe walk program and will explore means to potentially reinstate the safe ride program.

Changes imposed at the state level have had a serious negative impact on residents who live in rental housing. The city must continue to enhance its property inspection program to encourage appropriate maintenance of rental properties. Recently the City Housing Committee was disbanded and replaced by a Landlord Tenant Issues Committee and a Housing Strategy Committee. Getting these committees up and functioning needs to be a priority. The Strategy Committee will play an important role in guiding an increase in affordable housing within the city. Simply building more large high-density residential buildings does not ensure affordable housing. Per real estate economist Donovan Rypkema, “You can’t build new and rent cheap.”

Since 2001, I’ve lived just a block off Langdon Street on North Carroll Street.  For over a decade, I’ve been active in the Capitol neighborhood—serving as neighborhood association president for three years, an active member of the City of Madison’s Downtown Coordinating Committee for nearly 10 years (currently committee chair), and volunteering as a member of the Zoning Code Rewrite Advisory Committee for four years. In 2006, I won a Madison Trust for Historic Preservation award for leading the effort to save the Women’s Building, now Samba Brazilian Grill.

This is an area that matters.  The people matter.  The diversity of housing options, including affordable options, matters. The charm and beauty of where we live matters. You deserve a voice in actions the city takes, we deserve a voice.

The election is Tuesday April 2. I ask for your support and your vote.  Your vote matters.  Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. The Langdon area votes at the Lowell Center at 610 Langdon St.

Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.