Letter: Victim blaming undermines 'From victim to advocate'

Campus Women’s Center

Letter to the Editor

On April 4th, the Daily Cardinal ran an article on sexual assault titled “From Victim to Advocate.” The piece addressed the prevalence of sexual assault on campus and the pervasive rape-supportive culture through the personal story of a UW student. While we, the Campus Women’s Center, commend the Cardinal for running the piece, the article unfortunately became a part of the issue that it was attempting to confront, that of victim-blaming and slut-shaming. The second sentence in the article states “A member of the crew team and ‘very religious,’ she rarely drank and planned to remain a virgin until she married her then-boyfriend of four years.” While true of this survivor, the framework set up by this sentence suggests to the reader that the survivor was a “good girl” who did not “deserve” what happened to her. When discussing sexual assault it is extremely important to note that the victim is never at fault. Their drinking habits, appearance and religion are irrelevant. The sentence implies that some victims of sexual assault may be “asking for it” and can be blamed more than others. The opening of the article contradicts the message we believe the Cardinal was attempting to convey: that sexual assault under any circumstances is unacceptable.

We hope The Daily Cardinal continues to address issues like sexual assault on campus in a thoughtful and responsible manner. That includes accompanying any articles with campus resources such as The Dean of Students Office or the Rape Crisis Center. The Rape Crisis Center has a 24-hour hotline that can be reached at 608-251-7273, additionally they have an office on the 6th floor of the SAC. The Dean of Students provides additional support and services during normal business hours at 608-263-5700.

By continuing to address issues such as sexual assault in a responsible manner, The Daily Cardinal has the potential to positively impact campus and make it a safer and more welcoming environment for all students. We appreciate your efforts and look forward to continuing a productive conversation about sexual assault on campus in the future.

Get more information about the Campus Women’s Center at  campuswomenscenter.com. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.