Women's Basketball: Badgers fall to Northwestern

Wisconsin (3-11 Big Ten, 11-16 overall) could not hold on to the lead Saturday and fell to Northwestern (5-9, 13-14) in a 54-52 thriller.

The Badgers led at the half, 31-27, scoring five points off fast breaks. Sophomore forward Jacki Gulczynski had four assists and 12 points in the first half and ended with the game high, 16 points. Junior center Cassie Rochel had an game-high 14 rebounds, four blocks, and picked up eight points for the Badgers. Wisconsin shot a .358 field goal percentage and a .211 three-point percentage, but Northwestern managed a .368 field goal percentage and an impressive .500 three-point percentage hitting six of twelve attempts from beyond the arc.

The Badgers led the second half up until 5:26 left in regulation when the Wildcats were able to move ahead 45-43. Wisconsin had the lead 52-50 with two minutes left but was unable to fend off Northwestern as the game drew toward a close. The Wildcats took the lead 53-52 at 1:47 thanks to freshman forward Maggie Lyon’s third three-pointer of the night.

Wisconsin tried to answer back, tossing up two three-pointers that couldn’t find the bottom of the basket. The Wildcats had possession with just less than 40 seconds remaining as senior forward Dannielle Diamant took to the lane and was fouled by Rochel. Diamant made the second free throw, earning her 12 points for the game and putting the wildcats up 54-52.

As the clock ticked down on the Badgers, senior guard Tiera Stephen passed to Gulczynski who could not make the shot to tie the game. The Badgers were unable to capitalize and will have to accept the heartbreak of another away loss.

Wisconsin has only won a single game on the road this season. In mid-November Wisconsin beat Washington State but has continually fallen short since and has extended its away game losing streak to 10 games.

The Badgers will have their last home game this Thursday against No. 24 Nebraska.

UWbadgers.com contributed to this report