Five ideas for successful Rose Bowl trip

The 99th Rose Bowl game kicks off at 2 p.m. (pst), but there’s much more to be had in the Pasadena, Los Angeles and Santa Monica areas than the 60 minutes of football Jan. 1. While none of these gigs will likely top the main event, we’d like to suggest a few things to do for those trekking west to watch the Badgers face Stanford.

In-N-Out

Regardless of whether this is your first trip to the Golden State or you have been there before, a must is a stop at an In-N-Out Burger.

Sure, we from the Midwest have the luxury to frequent a Culver’s as much as we want. But sinking your teeth into an In-N-Out Burger Double-Double is a whole new experience. And if the 100 percent pure, always-fresh hamburger doesn’t get you, the inexpensive price will have you hooked.

Add in a side of fries and you have one of the best fast-food meals ever assembled. Trust me, your life will never be the same after experiencing an In-N-Out burger.

Party at the Pier

Although the majority of Rose Bowl goings-on will take place in Pasadena, the Party at the Pier pep rally in Santa Monica has been a favorite for Badger fans the past two years—upwards of 15,000 have shown up each of the last two years for the beachside gathering.

The specifics for the event haven’t yet been announced, but keep tabs with UWBadgers.com in the coming weeks for those details.

If this year’s show is anything like the last two, you can expect a slew of Fifth Quarter favorites from the UW marching band, with interspersed appearances from former Badger greats and the football team.

Barney’s Beanery

If you make the voyage to Santa Monica, set aside a little time and a lot of appetite to visit Barney’s Beanery. Located no more than a 10-minute walk from the pier on 3rd Street Promenade, this sports bar has phenomenal food (especially the chili) and a great beer selection.

It may not have the following of In-N-Out, but the atmosphere at Barney’s is tough to beat.

Rose Bowl Parade

It might be difficult to partake in both New Years celebrations and the Tournament of Roses parade, as the latter begins at 8 a.m. (pst) Jan. 1.

However, those who commit to an early start to 2013 will experience an event with a longer tradition than the Rose Bowl game itself—the football came 25 years after the parade.

Beyond the UW marching band, attendees will be treated to a slew of extravagant floats and high school marching bands from across the nation.

We recommend setting up some sort of public transportation to the parade, as you’ll be hard-pressed to find parking within walking distance from parade seating.

Rose Bowl Tailgate

No Badger gameday is complete without some pre-game festivities.

While the atmosphere in Pasadena won’t be as pro-Wisconsin as the parties before a game at Camp Randall, it’s a must-have experience for any Badger going to the Rose Bowl.

Interim head coach and athletic director Barry Alvarez asserted “there’s no venue prettier in all of sports than the Rose Bowl.”

If you’re looking for a more exclusive event, the Badger Blast/Huddle at the Rose Bowl tailgate will run from 10:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. (pst) Jan. 1.

The official Wisconsin pregame party will take place at Brookside Golf Course in Pasadena and will feature appearances from the UW marching band, Bucky Badger and the spirit squad.

Tickets can be purchased through the “Fan Events” page at UWBadgers.com.