Kinley McNicoll

Women's soccer: UW defeats Green Bay

The Wisconsin women’s soccer team (1-4-1 Big Ten, 8-5-1 overall) finished up their non-conference schedule and snapped a four-match winless streak with a 2-0 victory over the Green Bay Phoenix (4-9-1) Monday night.

The win was the Badgers’ sixth shutout of the season which may come to no surprise to fans that have followed the all-time series between these two foes. UW is now 16-0-0 against the Phoenix posting twelve shutouts against Green Bay since 1987.

Wisconsin generated solid offensive pressure in the first ten minutes of the game. The Badgers were able to capitalize on their third shot in the 11th minute when freshman midfielder Kinley McNicoll lofted a shot over the head of sophomore Green Bay goalkeeper Katy Pilarzyk.

Wisconsin struck again in the 31st minute when redshirt junior forward Paige Adams intercepted Pilarzyk’s kick and beat her to the ball, striking it into an empty net for her fifth goal of the season.

The Badgers continued to press the Green Bay defense in the final minutes of the first half as redshirt sophomore Kodee Williams narrowly missed an open net. The Badger defense held the Phoenix to just three shots, only one of which reached junior goalkeeper Genevieve Richard.

Wisconsin maintained their strong defense and prevented any serious chances at a goal for the Phoenix.

Wisconsin was primed for victory after they netted the first goal, as the team is 6-0-0 when doing so this season. Early offensive aggressiveness has led to success for the team and may be the key to finishing strong in the Big Ten as the Badgers eye their final conference games of the season.