Alexis Mitchell

Senior middle blocker Alexis Mitchell is leading the Badgers this season with a .409 hitting percentage and 60 kills. Her 2.86 kills per set is second best on the team.

Wisconsin to begin home slate with InnTowner Invitational

The Wisconsin volleyball team (5-1 overall) will return to the UW Field House this weekend for the 21st annual InnTowner Invitational.

For a team that faced road trips on both coasts to open its season, Wisconsin’s five wins in six games has certainly been a strong start. In fact, the Badgers lost just five sets combined in their six games.

Wisconsin appears to be in prime position to win its host tournament after failing to do so last season, with the combined records of its competitors—Drake, North Dakota State and Milwaukee—a combined 5-14.

Wisconsin will start things off  at the round-robin-style tournament against Drake (0-6 overall) Friday night at 7 p.m.

Saturday will feature a doubleheader, with the Badgers slated against North Dakota State (1-5 overall) at 12 p.m.

The tournament’s marquee matchup will be saved for last, with Wisconsin battling Milwaukee (4-3 overall) at 7 p.m. On paper, the winner of the primetime game will take the tournament title.

The Panthers are just one season removed from an undefeated conference season. With Big Ten play starting in just two weeks, the Badgers will need to take advantage of every game on their schedule until then, as the competition won’t be anything near what they will see in Madison this weekend.

It’s safe to say the Big Ten conference is the toughest in women’s volleyball. With six teams ranked in the top-25—including No. 1 Nebraska and No. 2 Penn State—Wisconsin will face some of the nation’s top teams once conference play begins.

Until that Big Ten Conference opener September 21 in Evanston, Ill., however, all the Badgers can do is build on the success they’ve enjoyed so far this season.

UWBadgers.com contributed to this report.