Cara Walls

The Badgers suffered just one non-conference loss prior to Big Ten play, which they will begin Sunday at No. 11 Penn State.

Bielefeld lifts Wisconsin in OT

The No. 13 Wisconsin women’s soccer team (6-1-0 overall) got a late goal in regulation from redshirt sophomore midfielder Kodee Williams and a header from senior midfielder Joana Bielefeld in extra time as the Badgers survived another overtime match, ousting in-state rival University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (1-4-1 overall), 2-1, on the road at Engelmann Field. With the victory, the Badgers improved to 6-1-0 for the first time since 2004.

The first half proved to be a stingy defensive battle as there were only 11 shots on goal—six for the Badgers and five for Milwaukee—and the two teams headed into halftime scoreless. As the second half got underway, the Panthers capitalized on a scoring chance in the 58th minute on a corner kick from the far post into the box, where Milwaukee senior forward Sammy Vovos collected a rebound to put the Panthers ahead, 1-0.

The Badgers wouldn’t go away without a fight and finally converted on a scoring opportunity in the 78th minute. Redshirt junior forward Paige Adams took advantage of a deflection into Wisconsin’s zone and found Williams on a cross into the box to tie things up 1-1.

Wisconsin didn’t waste anytime offensively in the overtime session, jumping on the attack from the get-go. The aggressiveness paid off for the Badgers as freshman midfielder Kinley McNicoll found Bielefeld on a corner kick, which she headed in for the game-winning goal in the 95th minute to avoid the upset.

Wisconsin drastically outshot Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 20-10, including a lopsided 12-5 advantage in the second half.

The Badgers will begin conference play on Sunday against Big Ten powerhouse and head coach Paula Wilkins’ former squad, Penn State, at State College. The noon kickoff is slated to be aired live on the Big Ten Network.

UWBadgers.com contributed to this report.