Online threats target SSFC members

University officials are investigating a threatening comment directed at members of the Student Services Finance Committee left on a Badger Herald comment section Tuesday.

SSFC members shared the text of the anonymous comment, which said the committee’s ruling that the Multicultural Student Coalition committed an intentional policy violation could lead affiliates of the group to resort to violence to “fight for what they believe in.”

“When all else fails, sometimes it is necessary to take up arms,” the comment said. “This misstep could come at a great personal cost to many and that cost could include their safety.”

Kevin Helmkamp, chair of UW’s Threat Assessment Response Team, said the UW Police Department are aware of the comment and university officials are working with the Herald staff to identify the poster.

SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart said the comment took the debate surrounding MCSC too far.

“SSFC has been harassed emotionally, mentally and intellectually all throughout the year, however this crossed the line to violence,” Neibart said. “My top priority right now is to keep every one of my SSFC members safe.”

MCSC volunteer Selma Aly said the comment was not posted by an MCSC member and that the group does not condone threatening student safety in any way.

“We’re a group that is for student power, and no one would write threatening words because we represent all students’ interests,” Aly said.

Helmkamp said while the comment cannot be ignored, he does not know if there is any legitimacy to the threats.

“I certainly would encourage everybody to maintain a sense of balance and not let something like this inflame an emotional situation,” Helmkamp said. “In this day in age, there are way too many people who simply think because they have a thought they’ve got to write it down.”

However, Helmkamp said the university “cannot afford” to discredit the comment.

A member of the UWPD was present at Tuesday’s student council meeting and SSFC members walked home together to ensure each other’s safety.

The Badger Herald removed the comment several hours after it was posted.

Alison Bauter contributed to this article.