Spence

Molly Spence’s big weekend at the plate led the Badgers to four wins at the Wolf Pack Softball Classic in Reno, Nev.

Softball: Spence’s big weekend at the plate garners Big Ten honors

An impressive performance at the plate at the Wolf Pack Softball Classic in Reno, Nev. this past weekend earned Wisconsin softball junior designated player Molly Spence Big Ten Player of the Week honors Monday.

This is Spence’s first Big Ten Player of the Week honor and the first for a  Wisconsin player since former outfielder Jennifer Krueger was honored in May 2011.

Spence’s bat paced the Badgers all weekend as she batted .529 with an OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage) of 1.873 as well as four home runs and 10 runs batted in to lead Wisconsin (10-7 overall) to four wins in Reno.

The Wilmette, Ill. native started her impressive weekend with a 3-for-4 performance against San Diego Friday, recording a double and two stolen bases in the 6-3 win before leading the Badgers to a 11-9 nine-inning win over Nevada later that day with a 2-for-4 effort at the place including her first home run of the weekend.

In Wisconsin’s only loss of the weekend, Spence was held hitless, but still recorded two runs batted in courtesy of a pair of sacrifice flies, Saturday again against San Diego. That night Spence went 1-for-4 against Nevada with a two-run home run in a 8-5 Badger win.

In the tournament finale Sunday, Spence was a perfect 3-for-3 against Nevada, hitting two home runs and recording four runs batted in Wisconsin’s 7-1 win.

On the season Spence is hitting .313 and leads the team with a .708 slugging percentage, five home runs and 18 runs batted in.

Spence’s big weekend marks the latest chapter in her triumphant return to the Wisconsin line-up after missing the entire 2011 season due to injury.

The Badgers were more than happy to welcome Spence back into the line-up. Spence was named the team’s most valuable player and best offensive player as well as Second-team All-Region after a freshman campaign where she batted .347 with eight home runs and a Wisconsin softball program single season record 41 runs batted in.

Spence also set numerous program records in her 2010 freshman season, including most runs batted in in a single game and multi-runs batted in games.

The Wisconsin softball team returns to action this weekend in the Gaucho Classic II in Santa Barbara, Calif. with games against UC Santa Barbara, San Jose State and Oklahoma State.

UWBadgers.com contributed to this report.