Modest job gains in February

Wisconsin gained 4,000 private sector jobs for the second consecutive month and added 8,300 jobs overall in February, though the state’s unemployment rate remained unchanged, according to the latest jobs statistics from the Department of Workforce Development Thursday.

The report shows that February’s unemployment rate stayed at 6.9 percent, the same it was in January but still the lowest it has been in a little over three years.

The state’s unemployment rate falls below the seasonally adjusted national rate of 8.3 percent and is lower than other Midwestern manufacturing states like Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio. The construction, health care and professional business sectors all saw job growth.

However, the DWD noted Wisconsin’s unemployment data is liable to misconstrued figures and a margin of error of plus or minus 9,300 jobs.

Republicans interpreted the report as further proof their policies are working to improve the economy.

“It’s clear that Wisconsin’s economy only continues to improve under Governor Walker’s leadership,” said Republican Party of Wisconsin Communications Director Ben Sparks.

While Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Mike Tate agrees job growth is positive, he said it is now more important than ever to provide job seekers with the skills and educational backgrounds employers are seeking.

“I urge Scott Walker and his Republican Party to restore their cuts to our technical colleges so that Wisconsin can continue to compete in our 21st century economy,” Tate said in a statement Thursday.