Taylor Wurtz

Junior guard Taylor Wurtz has been the rock in the Badger lineup this season scoring in double-digits in every game.

Women's Basketball: Slow start to Bobby Kelsey era

The Wisconsin women's basketball team (4-7 overall) is in the midst of a 12-day break, and based on its last few performances, it appears the time off comes at the perfect time for the Badgers.

After a pair of double-digit losses to Kansas and Drake University in the past week, the Badgers are resting up and wrapping up finals before taking on in-state foe UW-Green Bay on Friday, Dec. 23 at the Kohl Center.

Under new head coach Bobbie Kelsey, who was previously an assistant at Stanford, the Badgers have put together just a 2-3 record in the confines of the intimidating Kohl Center environment.

Adapting to coach Kelsey's up-tempo approach offensively has proved difficult for the Badgers, as shown by turnover troubles thus far. The team had a Kohl Center-record 31 turnovers in its game against Oral Roberts on Nov. 13, but has since improved drastically. The Badgers are now averaging 17.6 turnovers per contest, including only 13.7 over the last three.

"They're making great improvements," Kelsey said of her team's offensive improvements following Sunday's 65-54 loss to Drake. "They're really listening and trying to do the things we're asking them to do."

The team's recent rebounding struggles also shows cause for concern considering the dominance shown on the boards earlier in the season. The Badgers have been outrebounded in each of their last three games. Additionally, the Badgers posted double-digit totals in offensive rebounds in their first four games, but have amassed this total only once since the team's matchup against Washington State on Nov. 18.

Wisconsin has always been able to rely on junior guard Taylor Wurtz's play. Wurtz has scored in double figures in each of team's 11 games and leads the team with 16.3 points per game and 8.3 rebounds per game. Senior forward Anya Covington checks in at second in both categories, averaging 7.7 points per game and 6.5 rebounds per contest.

The Badgers should be cherishing the long break they are currently on, as the team's upcoming schedule over winter break will be anything but easy. The eight teams the Badgers square off against during that stretch own a combined 59-16 record. Also, the first four games, starting December 23rd at home against UW-Green Bay, are all in the top 22 in both the AP and Coaches polls and include Ohio State, Penn State and Purdue.

The matchup against UW-Green Bay marks the Badgers' last non-conference game of the season. The No. 15/19 Phoenix look to be serious contenders for the Horizon League title and are led by senior guard Julie Wojta, a 6 foot senior who averages 19.9 points per game and 9.9 boards per game. She is one of four Green Bay players to average double figures in scoring.

The Badgers arguably couldn't have kicked off its Big Ten portion of the schedule in any tougher way, as they host No. 12/14 Ohio State, which sits at 9-0 so far this season.

Following the matchup against the undefeated Buckeyes, the Badgers will play host to No. 16/17 Penn State on Jan. 2 at noon. The game was originally scheduled for later in the afternoon but the Wisconsin football team playing in the Rose Bowl pushed the game time to earlier in the afternoon.

Wisconsin then goes on the road the next two games to play Purdue and Illinios, then closes out the winter break portion of its schedule against Nebraska, Iowa and Northwestern.