The Dirty Bird: Erica on circumcised vs. uncircumcised

Erica Andrist

Dear Erica,

My new boyfriend isn't circumcised and I've never been with an uncircumcised guy before… Is it different? Is there anything I should know that's different from being with a circumcised guy?

H.B.

I shared this question with a beloved uncircumcised friend of mine and he promptly responded, ""Say it tastes like candy.""

Turns out it doesn't, but there are a few differences between circumcised and uncircumcised (aka cut and uncut) penises. The majority of these differences boil down to cultural, religious or personal opinions, but this column won't address the controversy surrounding circumcision; rather, we'll focus on handling an uncut penis when it's attached to or in front of you.

First, an anatomy tour. The foreskin is a sheath of skin that covers the entire penis like a sleeve when the penis is flaccid. Generally, it retracts to expose the head when the penis is erect; if the foreskin is too tight for this to occur comfortably, it is called phimosis. Almost all male-bodied people are born with foreskins; the rare condition of being born without one is called aposthia. Circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin.

The nuances of having a foreskin can be approached from the perspective of the penis owner or partner. For the penis owner, an uncircumcised penis requires a tiny amount of extra work to keep clean. Oils, skin cells and other debris can collect underneath the foreskin. This is called smegma, and while circumcised guys (and gals too) also produce it, uncut guys should take care to clean it out from between the foreskin and penis. Warm water is fine for this; no special soaps or supplies needed.

Evidence indicates circumcision reduces the risk of contracting some STIs, including HIV, genital herpes and HPV. The reasons for this are not entirely clear but may be related to changes in the penile skin after circumcision or the presence of certain kinds of infectable immune cells in the foreskin. Nonetheless, remember that circumcision alone is nowhere near the best protection from HIV or other STIs.

Finally, some reports indicate a reduction in sexual sensitivity post-circumcision. The foreskin is rich in nerve endings and helps reduce friction during sex (more on this in a sec). However, most studies/surveys have failed to show differences, and there is also a notable difference between sexual sensitivity as measured in a laboratory and sexual satisfaction as reported by a penis possessor.

Those comprise the major differences for the penis owner. If you find yourself on the other end of an uncircumcised penis, then there are a few things for you to think about, too.

As mentioned, the foreskin has a ton of nerve endings. Try pulling the foreskin up over the head and kissing or licking inside it. Slowly retract it down the shaft with your hand and follow it with your mouth. Start slow; just like it sometimes takes a little time for a vagina to get wet, sometimes it takes a foreskin a little time to retract comfortably over the head of a penis. A little lube might help. Or try letting your partner take the lead for a while; have him touch himself while you focus on other areas until the foreskin is comfortably retracted.

The foreskin frequently pulls back on its own during erection, but if it doesn't, gently pull it back using the above techniques before putting on a rubber. If the foreskin remains over the head, this increases the likelihood of condom slippage. More lube inside the condom can reduce discomfort (and increase pleasure) if the foreskin doesn't retract easily.

During penetration, the foreskin adds a little bit of girth to the base and shaft of the penis. It may also reduce friction (which may or may not be a plus) by gliding up and down the shaft during intercourse.  

Bottom line? An uncut dick is just like a cut dick, in the sense that there are many different ways to enjoy and pleasure it. Ask what your partner likes best. Pay attention to the reaction you get when you do what you do. As with any partner and any activity, good communication is the key to making sure your skills will cut it.

For further information or any  questions regarding the subtle nuances of circumcised vs. uncircumcised penises, shoot Erica an e-mail at sex@dailycardinal.com.