Increase graduates to stabilize economy

markbennet

Increase graduates to stabilize economy

Last week, UW System introduced a proposal calling for a dramatic increase in the amount of college graduates among the state's public institutions. The plan, known as the Growth Agenda for Wisconsin, looks to establish a more economically viable state where half of all Wisconsin adults have a college degree.

The agenda aims to accomplish this feat by increasing the number of system graduates from 26,000 to nearly 34,000 per year. Over 15 years, the total gain in graduates would amount to 80,000 more college graduates in the state of Wisconsin.

Kevin Reilly, UW Board of Regents president, argues that the ""plan will require renewed state investment in the University but it is progress that ... the state, can't afford not to pursue."" Reilly also argues that only 26 percent of Wisconsin adults currently have a four-year degree, compared to neighboring states such as Minnesota, where that figure stands at 32 percent.

Taking the brunt of the initiative would be UW-Milwaukee. They would see an additional 14,000 graduates over the 15-year period. UW-Madison would be expected to graduate just under 5,000 more students, and no four-year institution would be expected to add fewer than 1,000 new graduates over the decade and a half.

The agenda looks to accomplish these goals by increasing the number of transfer students into the system and boosting student retention for those already enrolled. The current system-wide graduation rate is 65.1 percent but drops significantly for low-income students. Reilly hopes that increasing the number of graduates in the state will boost incomes in Wisconsin and help fuel a strong economic future for the state.

The ambitious nature of the plan is perhaps what makes it so intriguing and exciting. In a time when public and private institutions are struggling to educate their current numbers and state institutions such as the University of California system are simply trying to stop the bleeding, the UW System is moving forward.

Of course, with a struggling state budget, every school in the UW System is going through similar budget struggles and resulting tuition increases. However, UW-Madison and Chancellor Biddy Martin's recent undergraduate initiative should serve as a prime example across the nation of how directly tuition increases can be used effectively.

The UC system has proposed a 32 percent tuition increase for the 2010 academic year just to stay afloat. Meanwhile, tuition hikes across the UW system, such as UW-Madison Initiative for Undergraduates, have served not just to maintain, but increase the quality of education for Wisconsin students.

Reilly believes that the current situation ""is a case where standing still is the same as stepping backward.""

Unfortunately in today's society, a high school degree will not allow a student to reach as far as they once could. Even just a two-year degree greatly increases a person's viability in the job market. It is important then that the state does not simply just stand by and allow current figures to remain stagnant. The state of Wisconsin needs more college graduates in order to maintain a sturdy economy.

The agenda will place a strong focus on student retention while also providing resources for those who were not able to complete their degree and need only a few more credits to do so. Additionally, transfer students will also be a large point of emphasis within the plan.

Some of the state's largest schools have either little space or already high competition among freshmen students. However, even UW-Madison, which has an acceptance rate among prospective freshman of around 50 percent, has room for new transfer students. This agenda will certainly focus on filling those spaces at UW-Madison and schools across the system.

Regardless of the economic feasibility of this program, of which few specific details have been released, it should be extremely encouraging to all students within the UW System and any citizen across the state to know their universities are committed to the idea of increasing education. This plan is about the UW System establishing strong ideals for the future of education.

The UW System has made it clear they have ambitious plans for the future of advanced education in the state of Wisconsin, continuing to prove that ""forward"" is not just a motto, but a way of life.

Mark Bennett is a freshman intending to major in journalism. We welcome all feedback. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.