Valai's hit sets the tone for Wisconsin

Call it getting back to basics and running the ball, playing aggressive or, of course, playing Wisconsin football, the Wisconsin Badger football team found something in Bloomington, Ind., Saturday that they have lacked for the majority of the season.  

During their 55-20 dismantling of the Indiana Hoosiers, the Badgers found the aggressive, physical mentality that players and fans alike have come to expect from the Cardinal and White on the field.  

This is Wisconsin football,"" senior linebacker Jonathan Casillas said. ""We are known for running the ball, being very physical upfront, hitting people all over, and we are starting to get back to that."" 

Physicality was the name of the game as the Badgers ran early and often on offense on their way to a season-high 441 yards rushing. Defensively, the physical, aggressive nature that the Badgers have not had this season came in the form of sophomore safety Jay Valai.  

With 1:16 left in the first half and Wisconsin leading 21-20, it seemed as if UW would once again give away a lead after shooting itself in the foot. After sophomore wide receiver David Gilreath muffed a punt and Indiana recovered the ball at the Wisconsin 15-yard line, all the pressure rested on the Badgers' defense.  

On the first play from scrimmage, Indiana sophomore quarterback Ben Chappell pulled down a high snap and ran a draw up the middle, where Valai was waiting.  

Valai laid a vicious hit on Chappell, who fumbled the ball on the play. While UW senior linebacker and team captain DeAndre Levy picked up the ball and returned it to the 49-yard line, Chappell laid motionless on the field.  

Chappell eventually got up and walked off the field under his own power, but he did not return to the game after suffering the concussion. Valai's hit not only left Chappell in a daze, but seemed to stun the entire Indiana sideline, as the Hoosiers would not score again the rest of the game.  

For Valai, the team's 4-5 record entering the game against Indiana was all the motivation he needed to play aggressively.  

""I was just angry, because I think we should be playing better than that so I just knew I had to make a big play,"" Valai said. ""I saw the quarterback running and it's like 'see-run-hit,' and just hit him as hard as I could."" 

Roaming the secondary this season, Valai has inflicted vicious hits on the opposition, and has quickly made a name for himself in the Big Ten Conference.  

""He has receivers thinking twice about when they go across the middle. Even ball carriers, when they run the ball, they see 12 flashing they get down,"" said Casillas. ""This year he has put a couple of guys out, and he has the ability to impose his will and that is exactly what he did today."" 

With three games left and a sub-.500 record, the Badgers needed a win Saturday to keep their hopes alive for a bowl game. Playing physically, especially for Valai, will be imperative during the last few weeks of the season for UW.  

""I'm trying to, just want to play physical and play aggressive,"" he said. ""Just got to come with it every time, make them respect you somehow."" 

Respect is something that the Badgers have not had for most of the season, but Valai sees the mentality against Indiana as a major turning point for the program this season.  

""That's what we've needed all season,"" Valai said. ""It's called 'manning up' and we finally manned up and came out there and played good ball, so that was big for us."" 

If you think the Badgers are on the road to a successful end of the season, e-mail Nate at ncarey@wisc.edu.