UW's Anderson spices up offensive rushing attack
The University of Wisconsin-Madison women's basketball team plays the Indiana University Hoosiers at the Kohl Center in Madison, Wis. The Badgers would go on to win the game 60-53.

After running for 441 yards against Indiana last Saturday, it seemed obvious where the praise would be handed out. Sophomore wide receiver David Gilreath, junior running back P.J. Hill and freshman running back John Clay - having all rushed for over 100 yards - were the apparent choices, but only Gilreath received co-MVP honors.  

The other was sophomore wide receiver Isaac Anderson, who, despite not making a catch against Indiana, has proven to be a valuable member of Wisconsin's rushing attack.  

It definitely made me feel a lot better, making a lot of blocks but not catching many balls,"" Anderson said laughing. ""I'm just doing what I'm asked to do right now. Just doing my job and not letting my guy make the tackle."" 

Anderson has stepped in and contributed solidly during his sophomore campaign. Despite only having nine catches for 99 yards, Anderson has been physical enough downfield to warrant a start in the last five games.  

""Isaac didn't have one catch on Saturday but probably played as an important of a role as anybody in several of the big plays offensively,"" Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema said at his Monday press conference.  

Landing in Madison in 2006, Anderson didn't do anything special as a freshman. Buried on the depth chart behind starters Brandon Williams and Jonathan Orr, Anderson only had five catches for 49 yards and four rushes for 14 yards.  

Entering the 2007 season, Anderson chose to redshirt and completely heal from a hamstring injury, instead of only being able to play for half a season. Hindsight is 20/20, and Bielema mentioned how being redshirted while injuries piled up in the receiving corps helped Anderson this season. 

""Isaac came in and played for us as a freshman, and last year, was a little bit banged up and asked if he could redshirt,"" he said. ""But then with all the injuries that happened last year I think Isaac, about five games into it, realized, 'I could have been a starter,' and opened his eyes to maybe that the bigger picture is more important."" 

For Anderson, sitting out last year has allowed him to contribute this season. 

""Just going against the No. 1 defense everyday gave me the confidence of going to block some of those bigger guys '¦ being on scout team everyday, just going to block those guys and running some routes against them,"" he said. ""I think that really gave me confidence."" 

This season has seen much the same, as injuries have surfaced again at the wide receiver position. Sophomore Kyle Jefferson, who was expected to be the team's top receiver entering the season, has battled an injured hand and has seen Anderson step up and take control, especially in the blocking department. 

""He just stays focus, no let down. He just continues to get better and continues to block hard and he encourages all of us,"" Jefferson said. ""If he is out there knocking people out, I want to knock people out with him."" 

Wisconsin takes on Minnesota Saturday in the Battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe, Anderson will have extra incentive to defeat the Golden Gophers. Hailing from Minneapolis, Anderson is one of six Badgers from the Land of 10,000 Lakes.  

""It's going to be good to go show Minnesota that we got some Minnesota guys over here that can play definitely,"" he said. 

Even with the high energy environment that comes when Paul Bunyan's Axe is on the line, Anderson remains focused on his goals come Saturday. 

""If we need someone to go in there and hit the safety, I'll go in and hit the safety."" 

It is that kind of attention to detail which Wisconsin will have to rely on against Minnesota, and if Anderson is any indication, then Paul's axe will probably be in Madison for at least another year.