UW wrestling makes debut at Kohl Center

This Friday, the Kohl Center will once again be shining bright and jumping, full of thousands of people watching a sport they love. However, these faithful fans will not be watching basketball or hockey.  

For the first time ever, Wisconsin wrestling will make its debut at the Kohl Center and will take on No. 2 Iowa State.  

I think it's an opportunity for us '¦ Iowa State's coming to town, and it's a big dual meet,"" Wisconsin wrestling head coach Barry Davis said. ""It's the day before the last football game of the season here, and a chance for us to kind of showcase our program before some people that have never seen much wrestling before, with the football fans being down here."" 

Although Davis might be looking to the football team's season finale against Cal Poly to fill in some seats at the Kohl Center, the wrestling team doesn't really need any help besides the proper recognition that it deserves.  

Against Iowa State alone, there will be a total of 13 nationally ranked athletes, and the most anticipated match will more than likely come in the heavyweight division, between No. 2 David Zabriskie of Iowa State and No. 3 Kyle Massey of Wisconsin. Last season at Iowa State, Massey was able to pin Zabriskie, giving this highly ranked match some extra excitement.  

The Badgers have already started the season 3-0 by defeating North Carolina State, Virginia and North Carolina last weekend, and in doing so witnessed history.  

UW senior Dallas Herbst set a school record, breaking Lee Kemp's all-time pin record. 

""Obviously, Lee Kemp is probably the greatest wrestler to go through the University of Wisconsin, being a four-time finalist and three-time national champion,"" Davis said. ""Dallas feels good about that, but I know right now his mind is on Jake Varner, No. 1 ranked guy in the country."" 

But with all the individual matches and the highly anticipated meeting between the Badgers and the Cyclones, the main attraction has to be the grand atmosphere that will undoubtedly follow the UW wrestlers to the Kohl Center. 

Wisconsin has played in large arenas before, but never at the Kohl Center, making Friday's meet extra special. Having spent the last 10 years in the UW Field House despite the fact that the Kohl Center has been open, it will be interesting for Davis' squad to leave the friendly confines of the Field House for the bigger venue.  

""Actually, I enjoy the Field House, because we pull the bleachers in, the fans are right on top of you there and it's a great atmosphere all the way around,"" Davis said. ""I think this is something good for our guys, being this big of venue, because come March, St. Louis is kind of same venue there.""  

However, the Kohl Center does allow Wisconsin wrestling to showcase its deep talent against a nationally ranked team. 

""It's a chance for us to showcase our program early in the season with Iowa State,"" Davis said. ""I think being in the Kohl Center with that many people in town, too, it will get some people that have probably never been in there to watch a dual meet as well."" 

For the Badgers, their Kohl Center debut will be a special one, but something says that it will be just as exciting, if not more, for the fans.  

If you attend the wrestling meet, tell Nate about your experience by e-mailing him at ncarey@wisc.edu.