Conference Championship within reach

Conference Championship within reach: Spartans pose final home test for Badgers

Conference Championship within reach

The No. 10 Badgers have yet to play the No. 19 Michigan State Spartans this year, but the two teams engaged in three fierce battles a year ago. The Badgers won 52-50 at the Kohl Center and 70-57 in the Big Ten Tournament. MSU knocked off Wisconsin 64-55 in East Lancing, Mich.  

The Badgers (13-2 Big Ten, 23-4 overall) enter Thursday's game with only two conference losses, both coming against Purdue. The Spartans (10-4, 22-5) have losses to Iowa, Purdue, Penn State and Indiana. 

The Spartans have threats on both the inside and perimeter. Senior guard Drew Neitzel shows incredible range, averaging 13.8 points per game with a 40.3-percent average beyond the arc. Sophomore swing man Raymar Morgan is averaging 15.2 points per game along with 6.3 rebounds.  

MSU's inside game, led by junior center Goran Suton and senior center Drew Naymick, will present a big challenge to the Badgers. Naymick provides a good presence under the basket with his long wingspan, 6'10\ body and ability to rebound. Suton is averaging just under nine points per contest. 

The Spartans are a deep team with nine players earning substantial minutes throughout the game. The Badgers will need to focus on more than just Michigan State's starting five because of its deep bench.  

""[We] can't key into one guy with that team because they are very balanced and have a lot of experience,"" assistant coach Greg Gard said. ""It's going to be Wisconsin vs. Michigan State. Try to take away their strengths and force them to their weaknesses. Stay to our identity. Try to play Wisconsin basketball."" 

The Badger offense has remained balanced throughout the season. Senior forward Brian Butch leads the Badgers with 12.3 points and 6.8 rebounds per game. Lately, however, sophomore shooting guard Jason Bohannon has stepped up for head coach Bo Ryan.  

Bohannon is shooting a dangerous 40-percent 3-point shooting average and cannot be left alone on the perimeter.  

Both teams average around 70 points per game, and the Spartans allow 62.5 points per game compared to 56.6 for the Badgers. 

Ryan believes in working the ball around to look for the best shot. He said even though a player may have an open shot, he needs to work the defense to get the shot he wants.  

Mental toughness and discipline have helped the Badgers play aggressive basketball and have given them the ability to wear down any opponent they face.  

Playing at the Kohl Center gives the Badgers a distinct advantage over opponents, but Wisconsin has also excelled on the road during conference play.  

Junior forward Marcus Landry said he preferred playing on the road because he uses the opponent's crowd to fuel his energy and motivation.  

Since Wisconsin has not played Michigan State yet this season, one way the Badgers will prepare is to look at last year's tape and design certain drills to build off their weaknesses. So late in the season, both teams have had the ability to see each other's weaknesses and strengths. However, the Badgers likely aren't worried about not having faced the Spartans yet. The team will prepare for this team like it has for the last 26 teams it has faced.  

""I am just going to do things that I do daily on a regular routine. I don't try to do anything differently because to me it is just another day,"" Landry said.  

With only four games left before tournament play begins, Wisconsin will be well prepared for its game against Michigan State.