David's Jamaican Cuisine offers precise blend of Jamaican flavors

You don't have to fly all the way to Jamaica to taste their signature dishes. David's Jamaican Cuisine, 5734 Monona Drive, is just a 10-minute drive from campus and is sure to pique your taste buds. 

David's menu has a variety of dishes to choose from, including the popular jerk-style items, which include chicken, ribs, pork, tofu, steak and salmon. The Jerk Pork ($6.95 lunch, $10.95 dinner) was served fresh from the oven, cooked to the perfect tenderness.  

The country style catfish ($6.95 lunch, $10.50 dinner) was another standout dish. A simple marinade of black pepper with a hint of lemon gave the catfish a subtle tinge of spiciness, which worked well with the cooked mixture of papaya, tomatoes and red pepper. Like the pork, the catfish fell right apart once it hit the mouth, causing the flavors to emerge effortlessly. 

The dishes were served with sides of salad and rice and beans. The rice and beans were bland, but worked well with the piquant flavors of the main dish. The salad - consisting mostly of thinly chopped cabbage - added a delightful contrast to the spice and tenderness of the meats with its crunchy texture and a slight dash of bitter flavor. 

Dessert items are also available at David's, including slices of sweet potato pie ($1.75). The pie was served warm, topped with whipped cream and cherries.  

Though dinner is a bit pricey, David's Jamaican Cuisine is worth every cent. The service was prompt and the waiters were exceptionally friendly. David's also has a buffet at lunch time as well as on Friday nights.  

So, the next time you are craving Jamaican food or want to try something different, David's Jamaican Cuisine is the place to go.