Wisconsin to face undefeated Minnesota on road

This Friday, the Wisconsin women's hockey team (0-1-1 Western Collegiate Hockey Association, 4-1-1 overall) travels to the Twin Cities to take on its rival, the Minnesota Golden Gophers (4-0-0, 8-0-0).  

Currently, the Badgers are ranked sixth in the nation by U.S. College Hockey Online, while the Gophers are tabbed second. With two talented teams taking the ice, it should be nothing less than exciting.  

\They have a lot of new players, and a couple of Olympians, so they should be really fast,"" said senior forward Kendra Antony about the Golden Gophers. 

Along with speed and experience, the Gophers bring a work ethic that should make them a very complete squad.  

""We've been picking up people in the zone and just basically working hard, knowing that they are a hardworking team themselves,"" sophomore forward Jackie Friesen said. 

In their last series, the Badgers played top-ranked Minnesota-Duluth (3-0-1, 5-0-1). In the series, the Badgers played tough, losing the first game 7-2, and then bouncing back to tie the No. 1 Bulldogs 3-3 in the second game. Some inspiration should be taken from the series with the Bulldogs. The Badgers played the top-ranked team in the nation to the bone, giving credence to Wisconsin's place in the national rankings. 

""We've got a real deep team, and I think when everyone puts in their best effort, I think we've shown that we can deal with the best teams in the country,"" Friesen said. 

Depth is another reason why the Badgers have flourished so far this year.  

""I think we have four solid forward lines, and a very, very talented defense. I just think we are an all-around good team,"" Antony said, echoing the idea of the depth the team has this season. 

As deep as the Badgers are, head coach Mark Johnson said he feels that, in order to be successful against the Golden Gophers, the Wisconsin women must be competitive for the full 60 minutes. Along with being competitive, the Badger defense will need to put in a solid effort against a flashy Minnesota offense. 

""They [Minnesota] bring a very skilled, high tempo quick game. They've got some forwards that are very good skaters,"" Johnson said. 

While the Badgers consider themselves a well-rounded team, the defense has risen above the rest, recording only one loss so far this season. A solid defense should be the answer to Minnesota's savvy with the puck. 

""Our defensemen are outstanding in comparison to the league's"" Antony said of her teammates. 

Great team depth and an outstanding defense, along with a work ethic that coach Johnson finds ""refreshing"" should be what the Badgers need to win this weekend in Minnesota.