UW men not afraid of Lions' roar

Feet hit the pavement as the men's track team practices for the Penn Relays in Philadelphia. The cloudless sky and slight breeze help put smiles on the players as they simultaneously adjust from last weekend's meet and get ready to leave Thursday for the next one. 

Hurdler Jon Mungen comes off a strong weekend having placed in 110-meter hurdles and the 400-meter hurdles. He looks to repeat this weekend in the 110-meter hurdles. 

\I've come off a good string of workouts the past two weeks and did some things right,"" Mungen said. ""We ran Friday, Saturday and Sunday. [The] first two days [we] didn't have a good start and had to play catch-up. On Sunday, I had a good start and messed up between hurdles. It's basically putting the pieces together. Today was working on consistency."" 

The Badgers find themselves having to physically adjust from arriving back on Monday and preparing to leave Thursday. 

""This past meet was really tough,"" junior middle distance runner Ryan Ridge said. ""[We] went to California and took the red-eye home leaving at midnight L.A. time and coming back Monday morning and then having to go to class. But it's definitely well worth it."" 

The hard work that the team has been putting forward will hopefully begin to come together Head Coach Ed Nuttycombe said. There are several events that he has high hopes for. 

""We're looking to run well in the 4x100 relay because we finally, for the first time this season, have our entire relay team together,"" Nuttycombe said. ""B.J. Tucker has been with football, Len Herring didn't run early on in the outdoor. So we certainly hope we'll run well."" 

Nuttycombe also has high expectations for the 4x400 meter medley of Jabari Pride, Gustin Smith, Jvontai Hanserd and Ridge, who himself is expecting a good show for the group. 

""For the mile relay [we hope] to run our best time of the year and place in the top five,"" Ridge said. ""That would be really good for us."" 

With the Big Ten Championship still several weeks away, the Badgers are focusing on adjusting to the outdoor track and the change in climates. 

""For me outdoors is a lot better because for one, the indoor track size is a disadvantage, being as tall as I am,"" Ridge, who is 6'4"", said. ""The tight turns make it a lot harder for me. It's a relief to get to the outdoor track."" 

The men look to continue the success they had in the indoor season to the outdoor season, knowing that things were left slightly unfinished. 

""It's a strange feeling on the indoor season,"" Nuttycombe said. ""You had the feeling of the tragedy [the death of Penn State pole vaulter Kevin Dare] itself but then you have the feeling from the team perspective of a job unfinished. So hopefully we are able to carry some of the momentum we built up to that moment into the outdoor season.\